Thursday, May 23, 2013

Keepin' That Ticker Tickin' - Part 1 of 3

Completed a very nice trade recently. Nabbed 67 cards I did not have and gave up some non-reds I was given for free by my friendly neighborhood card shop owner, via Topps. This chunk put a nice hurtin' on that scoreboard. I'm approaching 11,000, which is excellent. And with my Redlegs getting a sweep on the road at New York, I'm feeling very sports-happy.

I'm gonna break this into three installments, with no themes in mind. For Part 1, I can think of no better way to start than...

A pile of new Griffeys. 2001 Upper Deck Vintage Matinee Idols, 2005 Fleer Premium, 2004 Upper Deck Power Up (hideous), 2004 Topps Cracker Jack, 2003 Upper Deck Standing O, 2003 Upper Deck Honor Roll, 2002 Topps Total. Good pile. Good pile. Next...

More Griffeys. Boom. 2001 Topps Season Highlights (which seems like a parallel with the gloss, but isn't), 2002 Donruss Fan Club, 2001 Pacific, 2001 Bowman, 2000 Fleer Tradition Update, 2000 Fleer Tadition Update Season Highlights. Excellent. This fills a few holes in the binders where the Griffey was the only missing card of the team set. Very satisfying sliding in that last card. Closure, man. Closure. Moving on...

Nice group of Adam Dunn. I've rarely mentioned Adam Dunn in this blog, which is negligent on my part. I'm a big fan, mainly because I played baseball the same way he does. Either crank it out of the park or strikeout swinging. I just COULD NOT watch a ball go by. Didn't feel right. Of course, Dunn is a pro, and I was some kid bangin' around southern Ohio leagues, so I have a better excuse for blindly swinging at everything like I'm axing down a tree. There are a ton of Dunn cards around, and they can be had for pennies, which is great for Red Cardboard. Here we have 2003 Topps Gallery (sweet), 2005 Fleer Platinum, 2005 Flair, 2004 Leaf Second Edition, 2004 Fleer InScribed, 2002 Topps Gold Label (sweet). And I picked up a few more...

2004 Finest (from one of Finest's goofy years), 2004 Donruss Team Heroes, 2002 Upper Deck Ovation, 2004 Fleer Sweet Sigs Ballpark Heroes. I really like the Ballpark Heroes card design, but Dunn being off center and not in the frame is killing me.

Alrighty, that's a good start. Griffey and Dunn are two proud members of the Red Cardboard Century Club and perhaps are future candidates for the yet-to-exist Millennium Club. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Go Reds.




No comments:

Post a Comment