Thursday, May 2, 2013

COMC Mailday Smackdown

I had $32 to play around with on COMC recently. I never go there looking for anything specific. That usually ends in a wallet related hemorrhage. My goal is to snag any Reds goodness that is way too cheap from sellers who are just unloading. And holy crap did I snag a great lot for the price. Let's go...

1952 Topps #297 Andy Seminick. This is by far the best conditioned '52 Topps in my collection. And it's from the 5th (of 6) printing, making it nice and rare. Great pic, great card. Considering the least expensive Seminick on ebay right now is $20, and in worse condition, some would have dropped their entire $32 bankroll on just this. Not Red Cardboard. We ain't even CLOSE to done with the bankroll, kiddies. Next up...

1969 Topps Batting Leaders #2 Pete Rose, Matty Alou, Felipe Alou. Firstly, this is a great trio. Any trio with Petey is automatically great, but teaming up with two of the fifty or so in the Alou baseball family makes for a great card. Plus, it finishes off my 1969 Reds set, which was long overdo. Sweet. Moving forward...

How about five autos to add to the binder? Four pre-RC's, all serial numbered: Nick Fleece, who flamed out at Rookie League Billings, Devin Lohman, currently at AA Pensacola, Wes Mugarian, currently at Single A Dayton, and Tyler Cline, who flamed out at Rookie League Billings. Also, Micah Owings, who spent 2 years with the Reds and is currently at AAA Syracuse. Nice pile. Next up...

1958 Topps #484 Frank Robinson All Star. All busted up. Which is to say, perfect. No such thing as a bad looking Frank Robinson card. Though, maybe, they could have backed the camera up just a little bit. We still got more, Reds Nation...

A couple vintage needs. 1956 Topps #123 Roy McMillan and 1975 Topps Mini (!) #656 Bill Plummer. Starting to have a love affair with the '75 minis. I've neglected them my entire collecting career until recently. Shame. How great is the '56 Topps set, by the way? One of their best issues fo' sho'. More? More, you say? Why yes...

Two jersey cards. 2008 Upper Deck Heroes Black Adam Dunn, serial numbered out of 125 and 2013 Topps Chasing History Johnny Cueto. I love both of these card designs. And I'd never seen a 2013 relic as inexpensive as this one. Lookin' good.

Well that was a nice haul, emptying the ol' COMC credit. Very easy to argue I snagged my money's worth ($28.97 +$3 shipping). Oh what's that, Billy Mays? There's more?!?! Why yes, there is. I haven't shown off my favorite card of the haul...

1951 Bowman #143 Ted Kluszewski. Ooh man, what a great snag. And in decent shape. A bit off-center and some soft corners, but highly presentable. I'm always thrilled to add a Big Klu to the collection (though I'm a bit peeved they used the same image from his 1950 Bowman card). 'Tis a great member of the '51 Bowman release, though. Definitely goes on the display shelves.

So that was a Ted Kluszewski, Pete Rose, Frank Robinson, a '52 Topps, a '56 Topps, a '75 Topps Mini, 2 relics, and 5 autos, shipped to my doorstep, for $32. I feel like I stole something. Fantastic. Now, if my Reds could only win a divisional game, all would be well. Bah. Not even our current futility can upset me right now. GO REDLEGS!





No comments:

Post a Comment