Thursday, February 13, 2014

Completely Red: 2005 Studio

I really like this set. I don't have a real reason. And I'm bad at verbally expressing personally preferred aesthetics. But this page always makes me pause when sifting through my Donruss binder. This would be Donruss' final major year, due to their loss of license renewal with MLB, so this would be Studio's final appearance. Which is a shame, since this set is so nice. We see a portion of Cincinnati's notable skyline, including the Roebling suspension bridge, bathed in red. I enjoy the fade to white, as well as a rare instance of black-and-white actually working well on a card design. Of the 300 cards in the set, we are graced with 9 Reds, just under the average per team, but it makes for a dandy page. Yes. Dandy.

STATS:

Cards - 9

RC's - none

All Stars - 6 -(Sean Casey, Ken Griffey Jr., Eric Milton, Danny Graves, Barry Larkin, Adam Dunn)

Hall of Famers - 1 (Barry Larkin)

Reds Hall of Famers - 2 - (Barry Larkin, Sean Casey)

Ken Griffey Jr. Being Too Important to Pose in an Actual Studio for Donruss - Check

 

Checklist:

77 Adam Dunn
78 Austin Kearns
79 Barry Larkin
80 Bubba Nelson
81 Danny Graves
82 Eric Milton
83 Ken Griffey Jr.
84 Ryan Wagner
85 Sean Casey

Go Reds.

1 comment:

  1. I like many of the Studio sets that Donruss put out. I'm hoping they can figure out a way to put out a new Studio set that doesn't suffer too badly from lack of logos.

    ReplyDelete