Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Check Out My Post

I took advantage of the free shipping from COMC this past weekend, which reminded me that I still have scans from a purchase I made a while ago. So I'd better get these up before the new ones arrive, eh? As usual, I try to put an order around $30-$35. Recent buying patterns have been vintage goodies and autos of players for which I don't have autos. Let's go.

We'll start with a 1951 Topps Red Backs Grady Hatton. I had no cards from '51 Topps until now. There are only 4 Reds (2 Red Backs and 2 ultra-rare Blue Blacks) in the series, so finding reasonably priced ones has been difficult. These are about the same size as 1950 Bowman, fyi.

1939 Play Ball Harry Craft. I had two from 1940 Play Ball, but none from 1939. I think anything from the 1930's automatically draws a premium. This card is in such good condition, it made me suspicious. Mainly because I'm so used to perusing my own beat-up, mangled, creased super-vintage. This one has no creases, crisp edges, and only two minorly dinged corners. Plus it's stain-free. Such a nice addition to the display shelf.

Three card from the 1970's. You may notice the Ken Griffey is not the standard picture from his 1977 Topps issue. That's because....

...these are O-Pee-Chee! 1977 Ken Griffey, 1978 Johnny Bench, and 1971 Bob Tolan. I'm enjoying picking up 70's O-Pee-Chee since most of my Topps sets from the decade are nearly complete. I wish there were more photos that differed from their Topps counterparts, like the Griffey. The '71 OPC backs are so much better than the puke-green '71 Topps backs, too.

2002 Playoff Piece of the Game Jersey Austin Kearns. I'm over buying relic cards en masse. The reasons I bought this were 1) I have the same card with a bat relic, so this is a nice companion 2) It was 88 cents. Moving on.

1999 Topps Traded Autographs Jacobo Sequea and 2005 Donruss Signature Autographs Silver Bubba Nelson. Two top-notch first names.

2005 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Autographs Rafael Gonzalez /603 and BJ Szymanski /1327. Why two cards from the same set have different serial numbers is one for the ages.

2012 Bowman Chrome Autographs Daniel Corcino. Just finished his first year in AAA for the Reds. Hopefully he improves and makes it to The Show in the next few years.

1951 Bowman Danny Litwhiler. This set would be really excellent without the nameplate. I'm inching closer to completing the '50-'52 Bowman sets, which would be fantastic.

1955 Bowman Dick Bartell. Bartell was a coach for the Reds. The manager, Birdie Tebbetts, also got a card in this set. I can't think of another major set where coaches get their own cards. Bartell's nickname was 'Rowdy Richard', by the way.

Closing out the package is a 1961 Topps Frank Robinson. While this card won't win any 'exciting photo' awards, any Topps base issue of Robinson is more than welcome in the collection. I have the '58, '59, '60, '61, '62, '64. and '65. I'm missing the '57 and '63. Not bad.

Also in the package were some replacements for cards I sent out for autographs, that I feel no need to show, as they've been shown in previous TTM posts ('60 Topps Buddy Gilbert, '57 Topps Alex Grammas, '74 Topps Denis Menke, '66 Topps Jack Baldschun, '70 Topps Ray Washburn, '70 Topps Woody Woodward, '72 Topps Mel Behney). Pretty decent haul for $30.19 including shipping.

Go Reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment