Thursday, January 18, 2018

Senzation

So everybody is in love with Nick Senzel. Drafted in 2016 out of the University of Tennessee, he's been quickly inching his way up the farm system. He played 10 games for the Rookie League Billings Mustangs, then got promoted mid-year, playing 58 games for the Single-A Dayton Dragons. He got promoted again, starting 2017 with a 57-game stint with the A+ Daytona Tortugas, again getting promoted mid-year and playing 62 games with the AA Pensacola Blue Wahoos. I'd like to pause to appreciate the always excellent minor league team names.

Senzel has a nice average of .315 and a nice OPS of .908 over 187 minor league games, including a sexy .340/.413/.560 in his recent AA stint. Rumor is he will make the major league roster in 2018 at some point, thus making the Reds' youngest roster in the majors even younger (he's 22).

Despite not being a "prospector", just someone who plucks any cheap card, prospect or not, I've decided not to turn down any Senzel I find. Which means Senzel has joined the exclusive club of players for whom I keep doubles. This club consists of Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, and now Senzel. I know. I'm out of control.

Here is everything.

I will start strong. The top 6 are all from a box break of 2017 Bowman Chrome Draft (or Draft Picks and Prospects, or Prospects, or Bowman Draft, or who the hell knows) that turned out fantastic. Four chrome base, one chrome refractor out of 499, and one purple shimmer thing. I also pulled down three non-Senzel autos and a bunch of non-Senzel parallels. The '1st Bowman Cards' were from earlier in the year and I think they came from a 50-cent box at a show.


I think I overpaid for the non-chrome version of his 1st Bowman card on COMC just so I could have one. I'd also like to point out that Bowman released a box topper of Senzel in 2016, which makes this his 2nd card. This upsets me.

These 2017 Bowman Platinums are definitely from COMC during some seller's "I'm sick of this shit" sale so they were too cheap. That is to say, right in my wheelhouse.

All three of these gentleman are cause for minor excitement. Amir Garrett has already made the bigs, and Senzel and Tyler Mahle are right behind him.


These 2017 Topps Pro Debuts were in a quarter box. If there were more, they would all have been taken home.


This entire page of 2017 Heritage Minors was less than a dollar. You know those dudes who bust dozens of boxes of everything for the autos and mojo and can barely be bothered with the base and inserts? Those are my dudes. Dime, dime, dime, all day long.

Go Reds.

1 comment:

  1. I've been following Senzel's career and he looks like the real deal. I wouldn't mind drafting him at the end of our draft in my keeper league. He's someone who could definitely be a difference maker if given a shot.

    ReplyDelete