Sunday, November 29, 2015

Yet Another Impossible Project

Since, as posted a few days ago, I've amassed 15,000 Reds cards, it's near impossible to grab dozens upon dozens of cheap commons, seeing as I already have most of them. It's parallel city for me from now on. This has caused me to start non-Reds projects, which I thought I'd never do. First, the Hall of Fame binder: One card of every Hall of Famer, which has not been easy. Lots of negro league and international players that aren't prevalent in the card world (hey, how about another set with Aaron, Mays, and Musial???). Second, was my Reds Not Reds binder: one card of every Red in another team's uniform. This one is silly, but I love it. Third was the Opening Day binder: A page of the Opening Day starting nines for every year I can manage. This is still a Reds project, but it made use of my piles of doubles. Fourth, the Bengals binder: one card of every player who's donned the Orange and Black.

What idiocy am I up to now? This past season, me and some chick went to about a dozen and a half Columbus Clippers games. For the unaware, the Clippers are the AAA affiliate of the Indians (and former affiliate of the Pirates, Yankees, and Nationals). They are also a 12 minute drive from my home. They're usually pretty darn good. They won the International League title this year, their third since 2010. We even nabbed second-row-behind home plate tickets for a couple playoff games. Great stadium, cheap seats, and lots of beer. Such good times were had, that I'm starting a Clippers binder to commemorate. You know, like normal people do. Every player that has both made an appearance in a major league game and made an appearance for the Clippers is eligible. Thanks to some Baseball Reference snooping, this is a whopping 865 players since the Clippers inaugural year in 1977.

I assumed less than four decades would've produced a more manageable number, but damn the torpedoes! I'm going for it. Already dug through my junk piles and placed a JustCommons order (oh, and a second one soon after that is on its way). Puts me at about 350 already. Noice. Here's a sampling of order number one and my junk pulls:



Go Reds (and Clippers).

4 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a new project. I like your Hall of Fame project and I may have to steal it. Thanks!

    I had some Star minor league cards from 1989 or so and I remember there being some Clippers in there... Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens comes to mind. I wish I still had them, but they were shipped out a while back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away. Be prepared to get a ton of cards for the collection really fast, then hit a brick wall. Cumberland Posey, Martin Dihigo, etc.

      Delete
  2. This is pretty cool. I have been throwing around the same idea since I cover the Clippers. If you want I can forward this post to the team historian and he might be able to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, brother. Sounds great. I'm sure I made an error or twelve in compiling the list, so any help from an actual aficionado would be very welcome.

      Delete