Monday, September 19, 2016

1935 Diamond Stars #36 Ernie Lombardi

Purchased on eBay for a song. This set is so great, and everyone agrees. That's why it's so expensive. So how did my cheap ass get a 1935 Diamond Stars of a Hall of Famer for SIX BUCKS including shipping? Well, the pesky border was cut off by some kid. Ain't no thang, though. With the border intact, this is a hundred dollar card. Way above my proclivities.


As for Mr. Lombardi, if you don't know him, he caught in the majors for 17 seasons, 10 with the Reds, 5 with the Giants, and 1 each for the Robins and the Braves, from 1931-1947. He was an eight-time All Star, hit over .300 ten times, was the MVP of the 1938 season with the Reds, was a member of the Reds' 1939 and 1940 World Series teams (winning in 1940), was an inaugural inductee into the Reds Hall of Fame, is the namesake of the Reds team MVP award, and was posthumously elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1986. Decent.

Go Reds.

6 comments:

  1. I personally love "altered" or "beat up" super vintage cards, such as this Lombardi. Like you said, they're the only way these kind of cards can ever hope to fall into my price range! Besides, 70+ year old scraps of cardboard should have some wear and tear on them anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Usually, scissors being involved upsets me, but there is no other scenario I'm owning this card that doesn't involve a windfall of wealth.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Agreed. I'm kinda bummed I only have three from it.

      Delete
  3. Nice vintage HOFer there! And you can't beat that price. I agree with Tony Burbs, flaws should be expected and even embraced with a card this old. I just bought a 1933 Goudey card myself. Pre-war stuff is really neat, in any condition.

    The Collector

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pre-war. I've been slowly adding strip cards and Goudeys this year.

      Delete