Why do I have this? Because it was under a dollar. Some kid surely brought it to a game because it's what he had and got a sig from whomever would give him one. Which is nice. Mariano Duncan was part of the 1990 Reds World Series roster, so it fits in the ol' collection. Plus it's so bizarre I couldn't not buy it for that price.
Until just now, I had assumed Mariano played for Seattle and this was the result of a young Mariners fan's efforts. But I looked it up and no, he never played for them. Dodgers, Reds, Phillies, Reds again, Yankees, Blue Jays, and the Yomiuri Giants. Oh, a 23-year coaching career after his playing days, surely this solves the mystery. But no. None of his minor league coaching stints line up with Mariner affiliation. So there is absolutely no reason for this to exist. And now it's etched in the annals of the internet forever.
Here's the other side, for posterity.

Go Redlegs.
Interesting card. I wonder if Mariano said something (about not playing for the Mariners) to the person who requested his signature.
ReplyDelete