I recently connected with a guy unloading cheapo Reds autos. He saw a group post I often make about my willingness to buy any Reds auto that I don't have for a dollar. I snagged 126 tasty autos for $131 shipped. Beat that deal.
A quick perusal of Wally-Mart's site tells me that a 2026 Topps Chrome Mega Box is $133 with tax. I don't know if that's a proper competitive price, but whatevah, you get the idea. Autographs fall about one in sex mega boxes. So, did I choose wisely? Uhhhhhh, yeah.
I made a few mistakes. 7 of the autos I already had and I circled 4 autos from his scans twice. So the count is still 115 new-to-me autos, 14 factory and 101 in-person. Friggin' thrilled.




Closing with the most interesting card of the bunch. The Memphis Red Sox had no affiliation with the Reds, as they were a Negro League team in its waning years after MLB integration. And Charlie Davis, aka "The Whip" never played on an MLB team. His Negro League highlight was certainly relieving Satchel Paige in an All-Star Game in 1953.
But I have now learned that MLB had a special "draft" in 2008, at the behest of Dave Winfield, in which each team chose an overlooked Negro League player as an honorary draft pick. The Reds chose Davis and someone produced a homemade card for him to sign and it has found its way to me 17 years later. Does this qualify as an official Cincinnati Reds auto? Hell. Yes.
28 down. 87 to go.
Go Redlegs.

No comments:
Post a Comment