Friday, May 8, 2015

Completely Red: 1995 Studio

Baseball cards that look like credit cards? Sign me up. I remember very clearly enjoying these when I was a kid. I don't know why. They're kind of silly. And I don't think I quite understand the baseball-credit card connection. But I bought packs of em. I thought the raised stat numbers were sweet. And I was pretty stoked to get the Gold inserts that were thicker and had rounded corners like real credit cards. These were so uniquely odd at the time. That's probably why they were loved. Or were they? Maybe it was just me and my cousin.

Seven fan favorites make a good checklist. Larkin steals the spotlight, of course. I'm just now realizing that the hologram is unnecessary, but that is a minor offense. Bring back the design, Panini. Do it.

STATS:

Cards - 7

RC's - 0

All Stars - 3 (Bret Boone, Barry Larkin, Reggie Sanders)

Hall of Famers - 1 (Barry Larkin)

Reds Hall of Famers - 2 (Jose Rijo, Barry Larkin)

Credit Score - 850


Checklist:

20 Deion Sanders
37 Barry Larkin
83 Willie Greene
85 Jose Rijo
88 Reggie Sanders
106 Hal Morris
139 Bret Boone

Go Reds.

1 comment:

  1. In 1995 I was 29, pissed at MLB because of the lost World Series, and I had cut way back on my hobby spending... I read about these Studio cards in Sports Collector's Digest (because that was my news source 20 years ago), saw a fake credit card where 75% of the card was taken up by the design, and the player got shoved off to the side... And I rolled my eyes and moved on.

    Twenty years later, I wonder if I should give them a chance... I think it's the only Studio set I don't have at least one card from. I still don't prefer those relatively small photos, though.

    ReplyDelete