Saturday, January 10, 2015

Completely Red: 2004 Topps Total

I love, love, love cards of the bench guys. I can only handle so many Griffeys, Larkins, and Vottos before I just need me some Jung Bong. Topps Total did an okay job with this, but they definitely could've gone deeper. I'm sure the sales would indicate this expanded-checklist experiment was a failure, but dangit, I want more. I want a card of every single player who suited up in a given year. This will never happen.

I'm guessing the card design wasn't very helpful for the set's success. Dull gray. No pronounced design elements. I get that this was supposed to be a cheap offering, but making a good design shouldn't cost a lot of money, right? I mean, you have designers on staff already. Ah well. At least they used new photos. Mostly.

STATS:

Cards - 28

RC's - 2 (Ben Himes, Kevin Howard)

All Stars - 6 (Danny Graves, Ken Griffey, Jr., Felipe Lopez, Barry Larkin, Adam Dunn, Sean Casey)

Hall of Famers - 1 (Barry Larkin)

Reds Hall of Famers - 3 (Barry Larkin, Sean Casey, Ken Griffey Jr.)

Corky Alert - High

Checklist:

 33 Wily Mo Pena 
 42 Jason LaRue 
 61 Luke Hudson 
 79 Danny Graves 
 123 Juan Castro 
 145 Ken Griffey Jr. 
 184 John Riedling 
 260 Austin Kearns 
 272 Felipe Lopez 
 296 Barry Larkin 
 329 Jose Acevedo 
 343 D'Angelo Jimenez 
 394 Paul Wilson 
 407 Ryan Freel 
 448 Jimmy Haynes 
 514 Josh Hall 
 517 Corky Miller 
 520 Adam Dunn 
 579 Cory Lidle 
 611 Ryan Wagner 
 613 Jung Bong 
 665 Sean Casey 
 683 Brian Reith 
 727 Brandon Larson PROS 
 734 Joe Valentine PROS 
 736 Brandon Claussen PROS 
 792 Ben Himes FY RC 
 829 Kevin Howard FY RC 
Go Reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment