Monday, December 8, 2014

Red Friday - Part 2

Part 2 of the COMC Black Friday goodness. Three vintage oddballs for your eyeballs.

1936 Goudey Wide Pen Premiums Alex Kampouris. I knew nothing about this set, but I will happily pick up cheap 30's cards. I expected this to be 1951 Bowman size, but I was wrong. It's about 3 in x 5.5 in. And very thin. They were apparently handed out in retail stores to promote Goudey gum, instead of sold in packs. As for Kampouris, he had a 9 year career, mostly with Cincy and is credited as the first Greek-American to play in the majors.

1962 Post Ed Kasko. Judging by the times berween my finding any Post cards I need, I can only assume there are some rarity issues. Perhaps some were printed on crappy cereal no one bought. I don't know. But hey, this one's nice. Sweet specs.

1963 Kahn's Gene Freese. My fifth vintage wiener card. Being packaged with hot dogs is apparently very damaging, as evidenced by the Kahn's cards I have. These cards are huge, by the way, so that certainly aided in the creases. I still like them. At the rate of acquiring two per year, as I have, I'll have all 196 cards issued from 1955-1969 in the year 2110. Sweet.

Go Reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment