Friday, November 21, 2014

Top Ten Week - Day 6

This entire week will be devoted to various Top Ten lists culled from the ol' card stacks. Because why not. These are mostly based on favoritism as opposed to 'best'. My favorites are based on my own eclectic, fanciful whims. Yeah that's right. I have whims. And they're fanciful. Wanna fight about it?
-----------------------------------------------------
Links to Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5
-----------------------------------------------------
Today we're checking out my top ten 'super vintage'. For me, this means a card before 1948, which is to say, before Bowman and Topps. Cool stuff to be had in these decades.

10. 1934 Batter-Up Si Johnson
The ten spot goes to this damaged pop-up from the National Chicle Co. It's been run over by a truck and someone glued a piece of cardboard over the entire back, but it surprisingly hasn't been perforated. 

9. 1940 Play Ball Harry 'Wildfire' Craft
This one made it because 'Wildfire' is a fantastic nickname.

8. 1933 Goudey George Grantham
I need more Goudey. This is known.

7. 1909-11 T206 Tom Downey (Batting)
This list could have easily been dominated by T206, however I only chose two. It's the SEC West of baseball cards.

6. 1934 Diamond Match Co. Silver Border Earl Adams
The uncut versions of these go for many tens of dollars. The cut versions were 3/$5. Nice.

5. 1925 W590 Strip Card Jimmy Caveney
Good job with the cut, random kid from the 20's.

4. 1911 T205 Gold Border Dick Egan
The Reds featured blue prominently way too often.

3. 1922 W573 Strip Card Cliff Markle
My first card from the 20's, so it's special to me.

2. 1909-11 T206 Ed Karger
My favorite of my eight T206's, due to the fact that Karger looks like a hitman about to beat me to death with a piece of lumber he found on the street.

1. 1941 Play Ball Frank 'Buck' McCormick
9x All Star. 1949 NL MVP. Reds Hall of Fame. Fantastic Card.

Go Reds.

1 comment:

  1. Great cards. I'm trying to put the Battet up set Sox set together.

    ReplyDelete