Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Top Ten Week - Day 4

This entire week will be devoted to various Top Ten lists culled from the ol' card stacks. Because why not. These are mostly based on favoritism as opposed to 'best'. My favorites are based on my own eclectic, fanciful whims. Yeah that's right. I have whims. And they're fanciful. Wanna fight about it?
-----------------------------------------------------
Links to Day 1 Day 2 Day 3
-----------------------------------------------------
Today we're checking out my top ten relics. There has only been a few months in my collecting renaissance where I pursued relics. And even then, the prices were so high, I rarely pulled the trigger. I ended up with about 125-150, mostly cheapies (hello, Felipe Lopez and Arthur Rhodes All-Star games warm-up jerseys). So the 'mojo' here isn't particularly fantastic. But these are the top ten I like, mostly based on the players themselves.

10. 2010 Allen & Ginter Framed Jersey Joey Votto

You people love framed relics, right? It baffles me. They're weird. And look at this gaudy border. It's so strange, it actually passed the strange threshold back into interesting. Plus it's Votto. So here ya go, card. Have the ten-spot.

9. 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game Memorabilia Dave Concepcion

Standard stuff here. I like how they made a point to include a photo of downtown Cincy, then cut a hole in it for the relic. Hey, Fleer. See all that gray space at the bottom? Yeah...

8. 2002 Topps Coaches Collection Relics Ken Griffey Sr.
 
Cool concept. I guess it didn't catch on, though, as I haven't seen too many coaches on mem cards. We have a photo of Griffey as a Red, a card of Griffey as a Yankee, and I'm choosing to believe the jersey is from his coaching days as a Mariner or a Rockie.

7. 2002 SP Legendary Cuts Legendary Swatches Dave Parker

Love Dave Parker. And a nice, big swatch.

6. 2002 Topps Pristine Fall Memories Jerseys Johnny Bench

Johnny should clearly be higher on the list, because, you know, it's Johnny. But the chrome effect really takes away from this card's appeal.

5. 2011 Topps Marquee Gametime Mementos Brandon Phillips

My only quad relic. Again, I never broke the bank for relics.

4. 2005 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Classic Game Used Materials Tony Perez

This card makes me feel good. Of course now I'm kind of sad that these classic jerseys of Hall of Famers are being chopped into small pieces. But I guess 1,000 people can have one of these instead of one rich person having the entire jersey. Or maybe this is not a topic that needs dissected. 

3. 2002 Upper Deck Collectors Club Ken Griffey Jr.

You may have heard of this gentleman.

2. 2011 Topps 60 Game Used Memorabilia Barry Larkin.

This guy is probably on your radar as well.

1. 2005 Donruss Champions Impressions Relics Eric Davis

Maybe a dark horse choice for number one, but I really like this set. And I really like Eric Davis (Five Tool Talent ZOMG!). I dub this, along with that Dave Parker, my 'Million Dollar Relics'. Bonus points if you're not a Reds fan and understand that reference.

Go Reds.

1 comment: