Tuesday, May 6, 2014

1991 Topps Desert Shield #175 Jack Armstrong, #363 Rick Mahler

Be sure to vote in Group 9 of the Ugstravaganza.
-------------------------------------------------
I feel I should've snagged at least one of these before now, but alas, I hadn't. When I was a kid I had heard of these, but never saw any. If you're unaware, which I doubt you are, these were produced in 15 card packs and sent to troops in the Middle East during the Gulf War. Allegedly, there were about 6,800 of each card made, representing 0.000000001% of the total of 1991 Topps cards produced.

I'm more than positive fewer than 6,800 exist of each card anymore. Tons were simply left behind. Tons were thrown away. And tons were, well, blown up. "Luckily", some less-than-reputable military personnel "intercepted" a lot of them en route to Saudi Arabia, selling them state-side. There are also a lot of fakes out there, naturally. I am choosing not to research how to spot a fake, opting to naively believe these two are real.

I'd like to think I'll eventually own the entire Reds set, but I don't even want to know what stars go for, particularly Barry Larkin. So for the time being, I'll be happy displaying this duo.

Go Reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment