Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mini Card Show Goodness - Part 1/2

As in the show was a small one, not the cards. Well, except for four of them. I've missed the past two quarterly mega-shows, which is a shame. But I found some time to hit a small 5-dealer gig amidst the snowy turmoil of the midwest winter. The dime boxes were pretty sorry, so I went mostly into dreaded 50 cent boxes. Pretty happy with the caliber of cards though. How bout we start 'er up with 20 brand new Griffeys?

Three die-cuts: 2001 Fleer Futures Hot Commodities Insert, 2004 Ultra Gold Medallion Parallel, 2001 Fleer Gametime New Order Insert. I enjoy a good die-cut, despite never understanding the shapes.

2000 Upper Deck Eternal Glory Insert, 2004 Donruss Power Alley Insert #'d/2500, 2001 Fleer Premium Grip it & Rip It insert (with Sean Casey on the back).

2006 Upper Deck Ovation Curtain Call Insert, 2004 Ultra Hitting Machines Insert, 2006 Upper Deck Ovation Superstar Theatre Insert, 2003 Fleer Patchworks Numbers Game Insert. The two Ovations I find pretty slick, though tacky.

Some base card goodness: 2003 Playoff Portraits, 2003 Studio, 2004 Playoff Prestige, 2003 Sweet Spot.

2003 Donruss Classics, 2003 Fleer Box Score, and a super shiny 2004 Leaf Century Cuts.

2003 UD Patch Collection, 2003 Fleer Patchworks, and a good-lookin 2003 Fleer Avant.

These closed out a bunch of team sets, which is always nice.
Some serial numbered goodness: 2002 Finest Xfractor Adam Dunn #'d/99, 2013 Topps Gold Henry Rodriguez #'d/2013, 2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Rivals Insert #'d/2499. Love the Dunn. Also, a point of order, I've finally decided to actually remove the 'protective coating' on cards like this. Some may find this to be blasphemous heresy, but since I will never sell my precious Reds cards, I'd rather enjoy seeing the card in full than 'protecting it's value'.

1994 Select Select's Best Hit-and-Run Insert Barry Larkin and a 1994 Donruss Dominators Ripken/Larkin/Cordero. On the 'protective removal' notion, this is the card that finally broke me. Look at that egregious blocking of Mr. Cordero. After the scan, I peeled it off, and it felt so good. Then I went and did it with that Dunn from above, and it felt good too. This will happen from now on. Maybe I'll even dip into my Finest pages and peel all those off too. I'm all tingly just thinking about it.

We'll close out Part 1 with the aforementioned MINIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSS. 2013 Allen & Ginter's Todd Frazier, Johnny Cueto, and Bronson Arroyo, all the semi-rare A&G back, and 2013 UD Goodwin Champions Johnny Bench, enjoying a post-golf photo session, apparently. 

Good start. Be sure to check out the 'Take My Cards' tab up top, and get a vote in for the Ridiculous Tournament Finals in the sidebar. Go Reds.

1 comment: