Saturday, November 23, 2013

Showtime: Part 2/3 - Serials/Parallels

Part 2 of the Vet Show soiree. Check out Part 1 from yesterday.

There was this one dime-box guy I'd never seen before at the big, quarterly show. Most of the regulars I've picked pretty clean, so I'm limited to each of their 2 or 3 'new' boxes they happened to exhume from their garages each time. This new guy had three tables worth of dime-boxes and a huge crowd. I'd see it crowded, do a lap, and hope when I came back, it would be clear. It never was. So I eventually forced myself into the mix, and man, was there some good stuff. Serials, parallels, and rare sets were abound. There's no way he had any idea what was in these boxes. They could've been dollar boxes, and I bet he would've sold nearly as much.

Since I waited so long to squeeze into the mix, I missed out on some quality Reds-iness, owing to the many Reds fans at the show. But I found an unexplored pocket that included 17 serial numbered Reds of which a whopping 14 were of my boy Adam Dunn. Plus a handful of parallels. So excellent. A lot of these were from sets I had never seen before, mainly due to their scarcity. It was quite an exciting little find. Yeah, it's weird people like us get minor adrenaline rushes from stupid stuff like this, but hey. I've embraced it.

Let's check em out.

Top left: 2002 Donruss Elite Passing the Torch /1000
Top right: 2004 Playoff Prestige Xtra Bases Purple /150
Bottom left: 2004 Sweet Spot Swinging for the Fences /399
Bottom Right: 2004 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Turn of the Century /250

The Passing the Torch really stands out. The scanner reduced the sheen quite a bit. I'll never understand the people who decide the shape of die-cuts, by the way.


Top left: 2002 Topps Gold Label Class 1 /500
Top right: 2005 Donruss Career Stat Line /273
Bottom left: 2004 Playoff Honors Credits Bronze /100
Bottom right: 2005 Donruss Power Alley Blue /1000

The Gold Label looks a lot better in person, but not appreciably better than the base set. The Playoff Credits is only out of 100, which is pretty sweet.

Top: 2002 Studio Stars Gold /250
Bottom: 2005 Donruss Classics Home Run Heroes /1000

The Studio is friggin nice. Brings back memories of the 1995(?) Studio Credit Card things, except shiny.

2004 Playoff Prestige Prestigious Pros Silver /75, Green /350, Orange /500, Red /700. These aren't terribly impressive, and there are, I don't know, 3 colors still to be had, but a serial out of 75 in a dime box is incredible.

Some recent Topps glitz. I think I like the 2011 silver sparkle better than the 2013 emerald sparkle, followed by the 2012 gold sparkle. I'm guessing the 2014 sparkle will be blue, a la the 2013 wrapper redemptions.

2012 Bowman International. 2010 Bowman Chrome Purple Refractor. 10 cents. Nice.

2009 UD Starquest Rare Gold. 2009 UD Icons Red. 2008 UD Infield Power (ok, not a parallel, but it snuck onto the scanner).

MIIIINIIIIIIIIS! 2011 Topps Lineage 1975 Mini Parallel. 2003 Topps Opening Day Minis. 2012 Gypsy Queen Minis. The Cueto is a Straight Cut back. The Stubbs is doing a flip, apparently.

And finally, 2011 Donruss Elite Exra Editions Prospects Aspirations /200 on the left. 2008 Topps Gold Border /2008. 10 cents and 10 cents. If you're counting, everything in this post was bought for $3.10. Yeah, that'll do. Part 3 (the rest) will be up tomorrow. Go Reds.

1 comment:

  1. Numbered cards are always a special treat when it comes to dime boxes. Those Lineage '75 minis are pretty darn cool as well.

    ReplyDelete