I've been watching a bunch of you bloggy types setting up voting tourneys of one form or another. Well I wanna play too (waaaaa). BUT none of yours have been ridiculous enough. Well I am now here to lead the charge of ridiculousness with a FIVE HUNDRED TWELVE card ultimate war. Yessir. I've scanned my 512 favorite cards from the collection and now am pitting them against each other. Qualifications are as follows:
- I must own the card
- I must present the card in its condition. So is a busted up '52 Topps "better" than a pristine '88 Score with a badass photo? Up to you.
- In thumbing through my albums, it must make me pause. I think we'd all rather have any '56 common than the best '91 Donruss. But I chose cards from a lot of sets due to their "stand out" factor.
- Attempted non-bias to stars. I probably failed here. Johnny Bench will naturally make me stop flipping. But I shouldn't throw a card in just because it's Bench. It still needs to stand out. A star will, however, naturally make an otherwise boring card hold a mystique, i.e. 1950 Bowman Ted Kluszewski.
- Attempted non-bias to vintage. See 3.
- Shameless bias toward personal nostalgia. Yeah, I can't help it.
- Avoidance of parallels. A few exceptions, only if it adds to the design (like Bowman Hometown), but in general, I used the base version of a good card instead of a gold/green/blue/orange/purple/xfractor/glossy/black whatever version
So that's how I chose 'em. Why 512? In the many days I was flipping through binders, plucking, and scanning, I amassed about 500 that stood out. So I plucked a few more to get to a pretty power of 2.
UberRidiculous Tourney setup:
Round 1: 32 groups of 16, chosen randomly. Vote for your favorite 4. Top 4 move forward.
Round 2: 16 groups of 8, composed of 2 winners and 6 runners-up, all from different Round 1 groups. Vote for 4. Top 4 move forward.
Round 3: Seed the remaining 64 into a classic single-elimination bracket.
No THAT'S how you do ridiculous, kids.
I'll keep track of tourney history in a tab up top. Round 1: Group 1 will be up Thursday. Get pumped.