Saturday, June 29, 2013

Wiener Week! - Day 7

Kahn's is a meat processing and distribution company, famous for their hot dogs, founded and based in Cincinnati. They started making baseball cards in 1955 and continued into the late 1960's, focusing mostly on the Reds. In 1987 they re-introduced a Cincinnati Reds team set and have been producing a Reds set every year since. In honor of Kahn's, the Reds, and wieners, I proudly present an entire week dedicated to most phallic of foods and its Freudian presence in my collection.

Day 7 - 1991, 1993, 1996

The conclusion of Wiener Week at Red Cardboard. I hope my wieners have satisfied you this week (yes, I am an immature man-child). I'm hittin ya with the remaining three Kahn's sets from my collection, all from the 90's. First, 1991.

The 1991 Schottzie warranted its own post in the early days of this site. It's still hideous. Also, way too much white in this card design.

1993...
The pinstripe design is a nice homage to the unis at the time. Red Cardboard approves.

1996...
I'm actually okay with this Schottzie card. I don't know why. Maybe all these wieners have made me crazy. I do know that Jeff Brantley needs to calm down.


We will close out Wiener Week with the one and only baseball card of equipment manager Bernie Stowe. Batboy in 1947. Equipment manager 1968-1996, ceding the duties to his sons in 1997. He was honored by Kahn's with a baseball card. Pretty cool.

Time to grill some weenies. Go Reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment